|By Cloud News Desk||
|July 1, 2009 06:45 AM EDT||
Unisys Corporation (NYSE: UIS) yesterday moved to overcome CIOs’ concerns about security of data in the cloud, cited by organizations and industry analysts as the top impediment to adopting cloud computing for business needs.
Unisys unveiled an innovative cloud computing strategy and solutions portfolio for organizations to move enterprise application workloads securely to tailored cloud environments with greater confidence in maintaining the integrity of critical information.
"I believe that cloud computing will revolutionize the way enterprises obtain business and IT services and change the kind of payback they get from their IT investments," said Rich Marcello, president, Unisys Systems and Technology (pictured below), adding:
"Our clients tell us that they see great value in moving enterprise applications and data to the cloud. However, they have lacked the comprehensive security to make them confident in doing so. Security is in Unisys DNA, data center transformation and application modernization are our heritage, and outsourcing services tailored to the client's specific business needs are our forté. Our cloud computing strategy draws on all those core capabilities to help clients break through the barriers to adoption and gain a full range of options for cloud services while safeguarding their operations and lowering IT costs."
Underpinning this strategy is Unisys Stealth security solution, an innovative, patent-pending data protection technology initially designed for government applications and now available to commercial clients. The Unisys Stealth technology cloaks data through multiple levels of authentication and encryption, bit-splitting data into multiple packets so it moves invisibly across networks and protects data in the Unisys secure cloud.
Richard Marcello, President, Unisys Systems and Technology
The Unisys cloud computing strategy enables clients to choose the type of data center computing services that best meet their business objectives, from self-managed, automated IT infrastructures to Unisys-managed cloud services. Using Unisys services and technologies, organizations can create a private cloud within their data centers, a public cloud through secure Unisys-managed cloud solutions, or a hybrid cloud solution combining the best of both private and Unisys-managed cloud services.
Download Unisys White Paper: "The Perfect Storm for Enterprise-Class Clouds"
Supporting its cloud computing strategy, Unisys today announced two new offerings:
- Unisys Secure Cloud Solution, a managed cloud service providing comprehensive data security for multi-tenant environments, in which clients share a common IT infrastructure. Because the solution uses Stealth technology, enterprise clients can move existing business applications - including those with secure or sensitive data, such as human resources, financial, and healthcare information - into a managed, shared cloud service. There is no need to rewrite or alter applications. This allows clients to reap the economic benefits of cloud services more quickly.
- Cloud Transformation Services, a portfolio of advisory and implementation services that help clients assess potential cloud computing options and determine which option best suits their needs or financial objectives.
Unisys Secure Cloud Solution: Extreme Security for Cloud Computing
The Unisys Secure Cloud Solution, with availability planned for July 31, is designed to provide the highest level of data security possible within a cloud environment today, while reducing clients' upfront investments and ongoing operational costs for cloud computing.
The Unisys Secure Cloud Solution integrates Unisys Stealth technology to allow different clients in a multi-tenant environment to share the same IT infrastructure without fear of exposing one client's data to another.
Integrated with the new Unisys Secure Cloud Solution, the Unisys Stealth technology enables encrypted "data in motion" to remain invisible as it traverses the infrastructure until it is reassembled upon delivery to authorized users. Unisys also is planning a Stealth solution for data security on storage area networks (SAN) by providing the same cloaking capability for "data at rest" in a virtualized storage environment.
Based on the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) standard for service management, the Unisys Secure Cloud Solution uses the automation and virtualization capabilities of Unisys real-time infrastructure solutions, which enable the IT infrastructure to respond automatically to changes in the business environment. It also provides a self-service portal that enables organizations to scale IT resources in real time.
As client needs or data security requirements dictate, the Unisys Secure Cloud Solution can balance workloads across a global network of Unisys data centers, which are certified to key international standards such as ISO/IEC 27001:2005 for security, ISO/IEC 20000 for service management and the SAS 70 Type II auditing standard.
Through these centers, clients can both benefit from Unisys global and local service delivery expertise and comply with laws requiring storage of sensitive business data in-country. They can leverage Unisys layered security infrastructure, which includes intrusion detection and prevention service, security monitoring, advanced correlation and analytics, firewall management and logging.
New Secure "as a Service" Solutions Delivered through Unisys Secure Cloud
Unisys Secure Cloud Solution provides a global platform for delivering a full range of highly secure, managed IT infrastructure and application services available "as a service" through the cloud.
These services, also with availability planned for July 31, allow users to modernize their IT and application environments and enhance productivity while lowering costs and safeguarding their operations.
The new services include Secure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), for provisioning physical and virtual servers that both scale out and scale up; Secure Platform as a Service (PaaS), which provides a Java software stack - with .NET support planned - to make it easier for clients to move their applications to the cloud without making changes; My Secure Application as a Service (AaaS), for automatic provisioning of IT resources to support applications with multi-tier architectures; and Secure Software as a Service (SaaS), which provides access to hosted applications.
The Secure SaaS offering includes three solutions:
- Secure Hosted Communication and Collaboration Services, for Microsoft Outlook, SharePoint and Office Communication Services;
- Secure Virtual Office as a Service, for access to standard software suites that an organization's employees use; and
- Unisys Secure Document Delivery Service, which enables secure electronic delivery of high-volume documents, such as statements and bills, and allows two-way secure interaction with end customers - for example, making a payment or submitting a personal identification change such as credit card or address change.
New Cloud Transformation Services Build on Unisys Data Center Expertise
Unisys Cloud Transformation Services, available immediately, allow clients to plan and migrate to the type of cloud environment that best meets their business goals. These services help clients assess what application workloads can be moved to the cloud, how that can be done, and the technology, financial and security implications of their choices.
The Unisys Cloud Transformation Services comprise three suites of services:
- Cloud Advisory Services, which guide clients on the strategic implications that cloud computing may have for the business. They help clients determine if cloud computing - whether a private cloud, a Unisys-managed secure cloud or a hybrid cloud - is an effective choice;
- Cloud Assessment Services, which help clients determine which applications and services are best suited for cloud computing. In addition, these services assess the financial impact on the client's business of moving applications to the Unisys-managed secure cloud; and
- Cloud Migration Services, which help clients deploy applications to either a Unisys-managed secure cloud or a client-managed internal cloud, or both. For migration to a managed secure cloud, the services help clients move the application workload and the data to the cloud without interruption. For internal cloud implementations, clients can determine process optimization and cost improvements that they can realize from automating the IT infrastructure; plan and deploy the infrastructure; establish processes for IT service management; and determine critical ongoing requirements, such as storage modernization and disaster recovery.
Planning New Generations of Cloud Computing Solutions
Over the next several months, Unisys intends to launch additional solutions that give clients enhanced options in implementing cloud services.
Unisys plans a "cloud-in-a-box" solution as a comprehensive IT infrastructure package, enabling quick and cost-effective implementation of a private cloud. This solution will include virtualization capabilities, automation of ITIL best practices for service management, and Unisys Converged Remote Infrastructure Management capabilities, with Unisys Stealth solution as an option for extreme security.
Unisys also plans to deliver hybrid cloud technologies that provide the best of managed and dedicated services by combining public and private cloud capabilities.
Unisys is a worldwide information technology company. We provide a portfolio of IT services, software, and technology that solves critical problems for clients. We specialize in helping clients secure their operations, increase the efficiency and utilization of their data centers, enhance support to their end users and constituents, and modernize their enterprise applications. To provide these services and solutions, we bring together offerings and capabilities in outsourcing services, systems integration and consulting services, infrastructure services, maintenance services, and high-end server technology. With more than 27,000 employees, Unisys serves commercial organizations and government agencies throughout the world. For more information, visit www.unisys.com.
Any statements contained in this release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. All forward-looking statements rely on assumptions and are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Risks and uncertainties that could affect the introduction of products, solutions and services identified in this release include the ability of the company to timely and effectively implement its planned activities; the level of demand for and uncertainty of customer acceptance of these new Unisys products, services and solutions; potential delays or reductions in funding available for research and development of new Unisys products, services and solutions; the performance and capabilities of third parties with whom the company has commercial relationships for cloud computing or data security products, services or solutions; competitive pressures in the information services and technology marketplace, including pricing and introduction of new products and services by third parties; delays or reductions in information technology spending by our clients and potential clients; adverse changes in the economic and business environment; and volatility and rapid technological change in the company's industry. Additional discussion of factors that could affect Unisys future results is contained in periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Scott Jenson's Google #IoT Session @ThingsExpo
- Strategies for Winning Cloud Storage Wars: Google, Microsoft & Dropbox
- 2007 - 2014 - 2021 : deux septennats, pour changer le monde des Systèmes d’Information (première partie)
- Sprint Teams with Google to Offer Google Apps for Business
- Box Powers Productivity in the Cloud with Office 365, Removes Storage Limits for all Business Customers
- SoftWatch Launches New Service to Help Corporations Plan and Transform Their End-User Computing Environment
- Netvibes and Engagement Labs Partner to Deliver World's Most Advanced Social Media Analytics Platform
- @StackIQ To Exhibit At @CloudExpo Silicon Valley
- AppDirect Expands Leadership Team to Drive Cloud Adoption and Empower Businesses Globally
- Box Named a Leader in First-ever Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing
- ManageEngine Automates Google Apps Provisioning, Enhances Office 365 Reporting in ADManager Plus
- Less than One-Fifth of Federal IT Pros Are Fully Confident in Their Agency’s Ability to Meet Uptime and Failover Requirements
- WebRTC Summit Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- 8 Tips for Going Paperless In Your Small Business
- 8 Tips for Going Paperless In Your Small Business
- Book Review: Learning Mobile App Development
- Mobile Health News Weekly – Week of June 1, 2014
- Scott Jenson's Google #IoT Session @ThingsExpo
- Contract Logix Announces Version 14 of Its Contract Management Software Featuring Several Additional Features for Greater Usability
- Volo Helps ISPs Solve Barriers to Delivering High-Speed Internet Access for the Next Billion
- Apple Announces OS X Yosemite
- Linux Foundation Releases Program for LinuxCon and CloudOpen North America
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought