|By Jeremy Geelan||
|September 27, 2009 11:00 AM EDT||
A round-up of the problems, issues and opportunities due to be discussed October 6, 2009 in Washington, DC, at SYS-CON's 1st Annual Government IT Conference & Expo (GovITExpo.com), a 1-day deep dive into the new wave of Internet-based technologies that are changing the way that Federal agencies leverage, procure and utilize IT.
The event is being held at The Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill and the distinguished GovIT Expo Speaker Faculty includes recognized government, industry, and academic leaders experienced in building and managing software applications. Three simultaneous tracks will be covering Cloud Computing, Virtualization & SOA, and Security & Compliance.
Themes and topics to be covered include:
Accessing Public Data via the Cloud - The Director of Cloud & Virtualization at Vertica, Omer Trajman, will be giving a session discussing how government organizations can offer public data sets cost effectively yet create tremendous impact in the private sector.
Authoritative Decision-Making - see SOA & Governance
Backend IT Controls - Philip Lieberman, Founder & President of Lieberman Software, will be giving a session discussing how government IT departments can establish the key elements of the security foundation with minimal disruption to the computing infrastructure, by addressing critical security issues. His session is entitled "Protect Your Government Agency with Backend IT Controls."
Cloud Acceleration - The CEO of Asankya, Scott Ryan, will be giving a session in which delegates will learn about the technology behind cloud acceleration and the methods to deployment within the federal space.
Cloud Computing & Federal IT - see The Future
Cloud Data Governance - Cloud Computing has spawned an entirely new body of law, generated new policies, created new standards and raised new concerns. Terry Woloszyn, CEO of PerspecSys, will be giving a breakout session discussing issues related to Data Privacy, Residency, and Security in the cloud, and comparing some of the approaches and strategies organizations are taking to allow them to adopt the cloud, yet retain the control of their sensitive data.
Cloud Standards - Kyle Gabhart, SOA Solutions Director at Web Age Solutions is giving a session at GovIT Expo exploring the subject of Cloud Standards. Do they exist? Can we trust them? Are we building our enterprise solutions on mere vapors? The session's title is "Cloud Standards: Steady Growth or Moving Target?"
Collaboration in the Cloud - Ross Chevalier, President of Novell Canada, is giving a session in which he will discuss best practices for implementing a secure on-premise and cloud deployment mix, ans the challenges Federal agances and Government organizations should anticipate when shifting to the cloud.
Compliance - see FISMA Security Compliance
Disaster Recovery - Paul Hahn, Director of Technical Solutions at Tranxition, is giving a session in which GovIT Expo delegates will learn about emerging technologies and best practices for managing users' personalized environments when VDI is used for continuing operations. It is entitled "What's Missing in VDI-Based Disaster Recovery."
Enterprise Cloud Computing - is the theme of the Opening Keynote to GovIT Expo, being given by the Deputy CIO to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Jill Tummler Singer. Her keynote is entitled " The Infrastructure’s Ultimate Revenge" and will be asking whether the Cloud can be both a strong efficiency play as well as the Infrastructure’s Ultimate Revenge by positioning IT to be the accelerator of corporate strategy - instead of its bottleneck.
Governance - see SOA & Governance
Infrastructure's Revenge - see Enterprise Cloud Computing
IT Baselining - Walker White - VP of Technology at BDNA, is giving a session discussing strategies and practices for successful "IT baselining" in which he will show how government agencies have addressed IT compliance in effective ways.
Federal IT & Cloud Computing - see The Future
FISMA Security Compliance - Eric Greenberg, VP of Security & Risk Solutions at Integralis, will be giving a session that clears up FISMA security compliance misconceptions and obstacles to cloud computing and will offer delegates at GovITExpo strategies for synching their FISMA compliance framework to the cloud.
The Future - Bob Gourley, Founder & CTO, Crucial Point and former CTO of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), will be participating in a "Power Panel" entitled Cloud Computing & Federal IT - What Does the Future Hold? In this wide-ranging discussion panel, emerging federal cloud computing requirements will be matched against emerging capabilities from cloud providers to reveal the likely course of action for federal decision makers.
Keynote Address - see Enterprise Cloud Computing
Open Source Infrastructure for Cloud Computing - Dr. Rich Wolski, CTO & Co-Founder of Eucalyptus Systems, will be giving a session present Eucalyptusing - a.k.a. Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for Linking Your Programs to Useful Systems - an open source software infrastructure that implements IaaS-style cloud computing.
Open Source SOA Road Maps - The Chief Enterprise Architect at Maxworks, Robert J. Williams Jr, is giving a session introducing Open Source SOA Roadmaps, a SOA governance stone "that kills two birds - spaghetti enterprise architectures and endless middleware license fees." His session is called "Managing the Transition to Net-centricity with Open Source SOA Road Maps."
Public Data Sets - see Accessing Public Data via the Cloud
Security - see FISMA Security Compliance and Backend IT Controls
SOA & Governance - Mark Krzysko, Assistant Deputy Under Secretary of Defense at the US Department of Defense, will be giving a session called "Authoritative Decision-Making Information via SOA and Governance" in which he'll be discussing the effort to combine Departmental and data governance with SOA to improve the timeliness and authoritativeness of critical program oversight data.
Tactical Cloud Computing - Kevin L. Jackson, Director of Business Development at Dataline, is giving a session exploring how defense, homeland security and law enforcement organizations are looking to leverage the new and exciting IT capability represented by Cloud Computing.
Virtualization Technologies for Cloud Computing - Dr Harry Foxwell, Chief Technologist at Sun Microsystems Federal will be giving a session reviewing and discussing the benefits and trade-offs of applying the various virtualization techniques within the cloud.
SOA - The Delicate Balancing Act
JP Morgenthal - Sr. Principal Analyst, QinetiQ North America
– In this session delegates will be presented with use cases that illustrate key forks in the road for an SOA project and the impacts of taking each fork.
Trusted Identities Realization for Government
Naval Khosla - Program Manager for Government Industry Solutions, IBM
– Threat and fraud are still at the forefront of Government homeland security, services and benefits efforts. This session will be a an exploration of the IBM initiative for Trusted Identities Realization for Government.
SOA and Cloud: Achieving the Agility Double PlayEric Marks - Founder, President & CEO, AgilePath
– This session will present SOA and Cloud patterns that show the linkages of SOA to Cloud, and how to accelerate from SOA into Cloud.
GovITExpo, which is being held October 6, 2009 in Washington, DC, builds on the success of SYS-CON's Cloud Computing Expo, the fastest-growing conference anywhere in the world devoted to the delivery of massively scalable IT as a service using Internet technologies. Data storage, security and software services are among the major themes of the technical program.
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- The Master Plan for Enterprise Mobility
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- GENBAND Showcases WebRTC and Cloud
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?