|By Jeremy Geelan||
|October 19, 2009 05:07 AM EDT||
"Virtualization requires massive volume to be profitable. Cloud computing will enable that massive volume." With succinct sound bites like that, it is not surprising that Barry X Lynn, CEO of 3Tera (pictured below), is much in demand as a speaker at conferences devoted to Cloud & Virtualization.
In this brief interview with SYS-CON's Cloud Computing Journal, in the run-up to 3Tera's participation in the 4th International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo, Lynn discusses the current buoyant state of cloud computing, including the whys and the wherefores of its growing success and pervasiveness.
Before all else, Lynn is keen to "nail" the nitty-gritty question of what IS Cloud?
"Cloud computing." he notes, "is the encapsulation of applications with everything they need to run, and their abstraction from the physical resources they run on, so they can run anytime, anywhere. Don't let anyone sell you any less!"
Here are some of the other questions asked and answered during the interview:
Cloud Computing Journal: Where do you think Cloud Computing will make its impact most noticeably in 2010?
Barry X Lynn: More and more service providers will offer Cloud services. Enterprises will start implementing private and hybrid Clouds
Cloud Computing Journal: What is the biggest category of user is not using the Cloud right now, who ought to be?
Lynn: The biggest category of users not using Clouds are those that have not had a light bulb go off in their heads that tells them - Hey - I'm in the financial services business. Hey, I'm in the healthcare business. Hey, I'm in the manufacturing business. Why the heck am I managing servers???!!!
Cloud Computing Journal: How important is Virtualization to the Cloud, and vice versa?
Virtualization is as important to Cloud as a hammer is to a carpenter. Virtualization is a tool that is used in Cloud Computing. But virtualizations knows nothing about applications - only about the virtual machines that make up applications. Cloud encapsulates entire applications.
Virtualization has become commoditized. As such, virtualization requires massive volume to be profitable. Cloud computing will enable that massive volume.
Cloud Computing Journal: Who in your view are the Top Three Companies in the Cloud as at Fall 2009?
Lynn: 3Tera - a pioneer and the only turnkey platform that powers public, private and hybrid clouds; Amazon - also a pioneer and the clear market share leaders; and Google - because they are Google and there's a place for the Cloud as an advertisement media.
Cloud Computing Journal: Lastly, which Cloud Companies are the most likely to be bought up next by the giants?
Lynn: I think that Cloud Computing represents the future of IT and the next generation datacenter. Companies that enable management of this next generation will be gobbled up by giants as Cloud becomes pervasive - and it will!!!
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Series: Exchange 2013 and Lync 2013 Integration with AsteriskNOW PBX Pt. 1
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- XIRSYS Launches WebRTC Hosting Service
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?