|By Jerry Huang||
|September 21, 2010 09:13 AM EDT||
What are Amazon S3 buckets? They are containers full of storage objects.
How can you access them? There is AWS (Amazon Web Service) Management Console Web Interface in a web browser. There are also many other Amazon S3 clients you can use to upload files into the buckets.
Wouldn’t it be cool when you upload files by the AWS web console and the files show up on your Windows File Server; and vise versa?
As an admin, you can remotely administer your Amazon S3 buckets over the AWS web interface, keeping the Amazon credentials to yourself. For the group of users that you are serving, they can share the Amazon S3 buckets by mapping a drive to the Windows file server, using their own Active Directory credentials.
To do so, you need Gladinet CloudAFS. As the name implies, Cloud Attached File Server. It runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OS. For file servers, it supports Windows 2003 and Windows 2008. In fact, it supports Windows XP/Vista/7 too. You can also install it inside VMWare so it becomes a virtual appliance.
First you will plan for the bucket names and how the bucket will be used. For example, you can create an engineering.gladinet bucket for the shared directory for the engineering team at gladinet.
In this next step you will attach this bucket to a Windows file server that has CloudAFS running.
In the Storage Provider dropdown, you can pick Amazon S3 US Bucket or you can pick a different region, such as S3 European bucket.
The virtual directory name is a name for you to remember this bucket on the file server.
Now you will enter your S3 Access Key and Secret. In the file server setup, you can keep the keys to yourself. Your users doesn’t need to know the keys. Instead, they will use standard Windows credentials to access the network share published.
Now that the Amazon S3 bucket is mounted, you can publish it as a network share.
You can name the network share or just leave it as the default is the same folder name you give to the Amazon S3 bucket.
You can also assign users to the network share.
Now you have Amazon S3 bucket – engineering.gladinet attached to the Windows file server. Your users can access it by mapping a network drive to the network share.
Essentially it is a cloud gateway to Amazon S3, where you, the IT admin, has the key to control the access.
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Series: Exchange 2013 and Lync 2013 Integration with AsteriskNOW PBX Pt. 1
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- GENBAND Showcases WebRTC and Cloud
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?