|By PR Newswire||
|April 10, 2012 07:00 AM EDT||
BROOMFIELD, Colo., April 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Using a computer without security is riskier than leaving your home or car unlocked, according to a new study from Webroot, a leader in delivering Internet security as a service. In a survey of 1,637 Internet users aged 18 and older, Webroot asked respondents to gauge the perceived threat level of dangerous offline behaviors, such as driving without a seatbelt or automobile insurance, versus risky online behaviors like sharing an online password or using an unsecured WiFi connection.
With reliance on the Internet continuing to rise, the majority of respondents view many online risks to be just as dangerous – and in some cases more risky – when compared with offline behaviors that could lead to bodily harm, theft or financial damage.
- Using a computer without security software is seen as riskier than leaving the door to one's home or car unlocked. 85 percent say using a computer with security is high-risk, while 82 and 83 percent think leaving one's car or front door unlocked (respectively) is high-risk.
- Sharing a password is nearly as risky as driving without a seatbelt or driving without automobile insurance. 85 percent feel sharing a password is high-risk, versus 87 and 88 percent for driving without a seatbelt and driving without insurance (respectively).
- Making a credit card purchase from an unknown website is riskier than sharing personal information over the phone. 75 percent perceive the online purchase as high-risk, but only 65 percent feel the same amount of risk when disclosing information over the phone.
- Adults feel more threatened opening an email attachment from an unknown person than arranging an in-person meeting with someone they've met online. 81 percent viewed the email attachment as high-risk, but only 72 percent feel the same level of risk about an in-person meeting.
"It is encouraging to see that people are aware of the risks posed by online threats," said Jacques Erasmus, chief information security officer, Webroot. "Today's Internet users share an increasing amount of personal information online, and cybercriminals target security loopholes and careless practices to carry out everything from credit fraud to identity theft. Our findings show that people are cognizant of these risks, and savvier about the importance of practicing safe online behaviors."
The study also revealed that in today's digital world, consumers place significant importance on their devices:
- 61 percent of respondents say that a lost laptop, tablet or netbook is about the same or worse as having your wallet or purse stolen.
- 46 percent say a lost or stolen mobile phone or smartphone is about the same or worse.
Several disconnects emerged as well:
- 18- to 29-year-olds are more mobile, yet they are less concerned about mobile security risks. 82 percent of respondents under 30 own a smartphone, but only 36 percent think it's very or extremely risky to use a mobile device without security.
- When it comes to identity theft, 94 percent of respondents feel that online threats pose an equal or greater risk than offline threats, yet one in 20 (five percent) aren't using any security software and one in four (25 percent) are using free software exclusively.
- The majority of respondents (70 percent) feel there's limited risk in using public WiFi connections.
Other scenarios reveal that respondents are nearly as scared of social embarrassment as they are of bodily harm or theft:
- Texting while drinking alcohol poses about the same risk as riding a bicycle without a helmet (50 percent versus 52 percent view it as high-risk). Respondents in the United States believe texting while drinking is even more risky than riding a bicycle without a helmet (62 percent versus 49 percent).
- More than half of respondents (59 percent) believe it would be just as bad or worse to have someone view their browsing history without their permission as to have someone steal documents or mail from their trash.
- Men are significantly more concerned with their online privacy than women; nearly twice as many males think someone viewing their browsing history would be worse than document theft (16 percent versus nine percent).
What Can Users Do?
To help consumers understand online risks and practice safe behaviors, Webroot security experts recommend the following:
- Phone home safely - Mobile malware is on the rise, especially on Android devices, so take a moment to swing by the marketplace or app store to install a mobile security application that will safeguard your device against attacks. Many security apps can also help you locate your phone if it is lost or stolen.
- Be wary of WiFi - It can be tempting to take advantage of free WiFi access points in airports, hotels or cafes, but resist the urge to use those connections to do anything other than browse. Unsecured wireless connections can leave you vulnerable to a variety of risks, from data-stealing malware to wireless snooping of your logins or email messages by other travelers and guests.
- Be strict about passwords - Use a different password for each site on which you have an account; do not allow your browser to store passwords for you; and use a password manager instead of writing down passwords or storing them in a Word document in order to remember them. Incorporating numbers, letters and special characters like !, $, and * into your password makes it stronger. Webroot also recommends changing your password at regular intervals, and never use the same password at more than one site.
- Keep your guard up - Social networks, instant messengers, and email are all rife with social engineering – a technique used by cybercriminals to trick you into divulging confidential information or infecting your own PC. When in doubt don't click on unknown links from people even if the sender is a friend or relative. To further protect yourself, only accept friend requests from people you know.
- Wear a bike helmet - Use your head and practice safe behaviors, whether you're online or on the road. It's a risky world out there. Stay safe.
About the Research
An online survey was fielded March 8 through March 13, 2012 using Qualtrics survey software. Research Now invited panel members in Australia, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States to complete a 10-minute survey. Participants qualified if they were 18 or older, had at least one Internet-connected device, and spent an average of one or more hours online each day outside of work or school. The margin of error at the 95 percent level of confidence is +/-2.4 percentage points for the total sample of 1,637 and +/- 4.0 points for the 609 US respondents.
Webroot is committed to taking the misery out of Internet security with its suite of Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ offerings for consumers and businesses. Founded in 1997, privately held Webroot is headquartered in Colorado and has operations across North America, Europe and the Asia Pacific region. For more information, visit http://www.webroot.com or call 800.772.9383. Read the Webroot Threat Blog: http://blog.webroot.com. Follow Webroot on Twitter: http://twitter.com/webroot.
© 2012 Webroot Inc. All rights reserved. Webroot, SecureAnywhere, and Webroot SecureAnywhere are registered trademarks of Webroot Inc. in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Apr. 18, 2015 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,795
SYS-CON Events announced today that StorPool Storage will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. StorPool is distributed storage software that allows service providers, enterprises and other cloud builders to run data storage on standard x86 servers, instead of using expensive and inefficient storage arrays (SAN).
Apr. 18, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,931
SYS-CON Events announced today that Site24x7, the cloud infrastructure monitoring service, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Site24x7 is a cloud infrastructure monitoring service that helps monitor the uptime and performance of websites, online applications, servers, mobile websites and custom APIs. The monitoring is done from 50+ locations across the world and from various wireless carriers, thus providing a global perspective of the end-user experience. Site24x7 supports monitoring H...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
SYS-CON Events announced today that B2Cloud, a provider of enterprise resource planning software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. B2cloud develops the software you need. They have the ideal tools to help you work with your clients. B2Cloud’s main solutions include AGIS – ERP, CLOHC, AGIS – Invoice, and IZUM
Apr. 18, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,077
SYS-CON Events announced today that Intelligent Systems Services will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Established in 1994, Intelligent Systems Services Inc. is located near Washington, DC, with representatives and partners nationwide. ISS’s well-established track record is based on the continuous pursuit of excellence in designing, implementing and supporting nationwide clients’ mission-critical systems. ISS has completed many successful projects in Healthcare, Commercial, Manufacturing, ...
Apr. 18, 2015 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,334
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements around Unified Networks, Cloud Computing strategies, Virtualization around Software defined Data Ce...
Apr. 18, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,363
SYS-CON Events announced today that Optimal Design, an Internet of Things solution provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Optimal Design is an award winning product development firm offering industrial design and engineering services to the consumer, medical, and defense markets.
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,585
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tufin, the market-leading provider of Security Policy Orchestration Solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As the market leader of Security Policy Orchestration, Tufin automates and accelerates network configuration changes while maintaining security and compliance. Tufin's award-winning Orchestration Suite™ gives IT organizations the power and agility to enforce security policy across complex, multi-vendor enterprise networks. With more than 1...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,259
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY., and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides private all-in-one social intranets allowing workers to securely collaborate from anywhere in the world and from any device. Social, mobile, and easy to use. MangoApps has been named a "Market Leader" by Ovum Research and a "Cool Vendor" by Gartner...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,540
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudian, Inc., the leading provider of hybrid cloud storage solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudian, Inc., is a Foster City, California - based software company specializing in cloud storage software. The main product is Cloudian, an Amazon S3-compliant cloud object storage platform, the bedrock of cloud computing systems, that enables cloud service providers and enterprises to build reliable, affordable and scalable cloud storage solu...
Apr. 18, 2015 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,342
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,202
SYS-CON Events announced today that Creative Business Solutions will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Creative Business Solutions is the top stocking authorized HP Renew Distributor in the U.S. Based out of Long Island, NY, Creative Business Solutions offers a one-stop shop for a diverse range of products including Proliant, Blade and Industry Standard Servers, Networking, Server Options and Care Packs. As a trusted supplier, CBS guarantees quality controlled stock levels thanks to an Auto...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 4,241
How is unified communications transforming the way businesses operate? In his session at WebRTC Summit, Arvind Rangarajan, Director of Product Marketing at BroadSoft, will discuss how to extend unified communications experience outside the enterprise through WebRTC. He will also review use cases across different industry verticals. Arvind Rangarajan is Director, Product Marketing at BroadSoft. He has over 19 years of experience in the telecommunications industry in various roles such as Software Development, Product Management and Product Marketing, applied across Wireless, Unified Communic...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,575
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,055
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,893
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,431
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 18, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 953
With IoT exploding, massive data will transform businesses with opportunities to monetize almost anything that can be measured. In this C-Level Roundtable Discussion at @ThingsExpo, Brendan O’Brien, Aria Systems Co-founder and Chief Evangelist, will lead an expert panel of consultants, thought leaders and practitioners who will look at these new monetization trends, discuss the implications, and detail lessons learned from their collective experience. Finally, the panel will point the way forward for enterprises who wish to leverage the resulting complex recurring revenue models, adding valu...
Apr. 18, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,413
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ciqada will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ciqada™ makes it easy to connect your products to the Internet. By integrating key components - hardware, servers, dashboards, and mobile apps - into an easy-to-use, configurable system, your products can quickly and securely join the internet of things. With remote monitoring, control, and alert messaging capability, you will meet your customers' needs of tomorrow - today! Ciqada. Let your products take flight. For more inform...
Apr. 18, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,573
SYS-CON Events announced today that ActiveState, the leading independent Cloud Foundry and Docker-based PaaS provider, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's DevOps Summit New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. ActiveState believes that enterprises gain a competitive advantage when they are able to quickly create, deploy and efficiently manage software solutions that immediately create business value, but they face many challenges that prevent them from doing so. The Company is uniquely positioned to help address these challenges thro...
Apr. 18, 2015 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,575