|By Keith Mayer||
|September 19, 2012 10:00 AM EDT||
Hyper-V Server 2012 is Microsoft's completely free type-1 hypervisor product. Unlike some other competing free hypervisors, Hyper-V Server 2012 has the same virtualization scale and availability features as the Hyper-V role in licensed editions of Windows Server 2012, but it's optimized for running only the Hyper-V hypervisor on bare metal. It's a great solution when you're looking to deploy dedicated hypervisor hosts within your shop. The result? An enterprise-scale type-1 hypervisor for FREE! You can get more details on Hyper-V Server 2012 here.
Recently, I was involved in a project that was migrating from Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 to Hyper-V Server 2012. Due to architectural changes involved in implementing the new features in Hyper-V Server 2012, a direct in-place upgrade is not possible. However, the across-the-wire migration process we used below was straight-forward and worked very well. A ton of work has been done by the product team on improving the virtual machine export/import process, and we definitely saw this area shine during our project. Here's the migration steps we used:
Preparation Steps for New Target Hyper-V Server 2012
- Install and configure a new Hyper-V Server 2012 box.
- Set up the same Virtual Networks as the source host in Hyper-V Manager using the "Virtual Switch Manager" host action.
Migration Steps for Existing Source Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
- Backup the original source Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 server as a precaution. We won't be making any changes to this box during the migration, but it never hurts to be safe! :-)
- Shutdown running virtual machines on original source Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 server.
- Review each virtual machine for snapshots - any snapshots taken of a running virtual machine should be merged by using the "Delete Snapshot ..." guest action in Hyper-V Manager. Snapshots of running VM's are not supported for migration due to hardware and software architectural differences on the source and target servers.
- Review each virtual machine and ensure that any Saved States are removed using the "Delete Saved State ..." guest action in Hyper-V Manager. Saved states of VM's are not supported for migration due to hardware and software architectural differences on the source and target servers.
Important! If there are important changes saved in a VM's saved state that you wish to capture, start and gracefully shutdown the VM rather than simply deleting it's saved state.
- Set the MAC address option in the settings of each VM to "Static" prior to migrating. This allows the guest OS to maintain a fixed relationship between virtual NIC and MAC address even after migrating to the target Hyper-V Server 2012 server and prevents you from needing to potentially reconfigure virtual NICs post-migration.
- Export each VM using the "Export ..." action in Hyper-V Manager to an external storage location or network location that is reachable from both the new target Hyper-V Server 2012 box and your remote administration PC.
Migration Steps for New Target Hyper-V Server 2012
- Import each exported VM on the new target Hyper-V Server 2012 box using the "Import Virtual Machine ..." host action in Hyper-V Manager.
Important! When using the new Import Virtual Machine wizard, you will be prompted to "Register", "Restore", or "Copy" the virtual machine when importing. You will want to select the "Restore" option and confirm the path on the new Hyper-V host to which the VM will be restored.
- Review the settings of each imported VM using the "Settings ..." guest action in Hyper-V Manager. Hyper-V Server 2012 provides the ability to assign more virtual processors (up to 64 per VM), more virtual memory (up to 1TB per VM) and new virtual hardware options, such as Virtual Fiber Channel HBAs and network offloading/security. For some VMs, you may wish to take advantage of these new capabilities by adding virtual hardware resources.
- Start each VM using the "Start" guest action in Hyper-V Manager to confirm that the VM starts successfully.
- Connect to the console of each VM using the "Connect ..." guest action in Hyper-V Manager to confirm successful guest OS boot.
- Login at the console of each VM and confirm that all services have started
- Update the Hyper-V Integration Services for each VM by using the "Action -> Insert Integration Services Setup Disk" option on the menu bar of each Virtual Machine Connection window.
Rinse and Repeat ...
If you have multiple Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 hosts that you are migrating, you can perform this same set of migration steps for each host - one at a time - and, after each host is migrated, rebuild the old source host as a new Hyper-V Server 2012 box for migrating the VMs from your next Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 machine.
What If I'm Migrating from VMware?
If you're migrating VM's from a VMware host, rather than using the middle set of migration steps for exporting VMs, you can instead use the new FREE Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter solution accelerator tool. This tool provides a streamlined conversion process that accomplishes the following tasks in the migration process:
- Converts and deploys virtual machines from VMware hosts to Hyper-V hosts. As part of the machine conversion MVMC converts the virtual disks attached to the source virtual machine. It also migrates configuration such as memory, virtual processor and so on from the source virtual machine to the converted virtual machine deployed on Hyper-V. It adds virtual network interface cards (NICs) to the converted virtual machine on Hyper-V.
- Supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.1 and 5.0 hosts to Hyper-V.
- Note: MVMC also supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.0 if the host is managed by vCenter 4.1 or vCenter 5.0. You have to connect to vCenter 4.1 or 5.0 through MVMC to convert virtual machines on vSphere 4.0.
- Supports conversion of virtual machines from VMware vSphere 4.1 and 5.0 hosts to Hyper-V.
- Converts VMware virtual disks to Hyper-V based virtual hard disks (VHDs).
- Uninstalls VMware tools prior to conversion to provide a clean way to migrate VMware-based virtual machines to Hyper-V.
- Installs Hyper-V Integration Services on the converted virtual machine if the guest operating system is Windows Server 2003 SP2.
- Has a wizard-driven GUI, making it simple to perform virtual machine conversion.
- Offers fully scriptable command-line interfaces for performing virtual machine and disk conversions that integrates well with data center automation workflows and Windows PowerShell scripts.
Share Your Migration Tips!
These steps have worked well for me in migrating to Hyper-V Server 2012, but please feel free to share your migration tips in the comments below if you've migrated differently so that we can grow our set of migration "best practices" together.
Hope this helps!
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
910Telecom exhibited at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which took place at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, in November 2016. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and exchanges.
Feb. 27, 2017 03:30 AM EST Reads: 2,164
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Feb. 27, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 7,523
As businesses adopt functionalities in cloud computing, it’s imperative that IT operations consistently ensure cloud systems work correctly – all of the time, and to their best capabilities. In his session at @BigDataExpo, Bernd Harzog, CEO and founder of OpsDataStore, will present an industry answer to the common question, “Are you running IT operations as efficiently and as cost effectively as you need to?” He will expound on the industry issues he frequently came up against as an analyst, and...
Feb. 27, 2017 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,101
Who are you? How do you introduce yourself? Do you use a name, or do you greet a friend by the last four digits of his social security number? Assuming you don’t, why are we content to associate our identity with 10 random digits assigned by our phone company? Identity is an issue that affects everyone, but as individuals we don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ben Klang, Founder & President of Mojo Lingo, discussed the impact of technology on identity. Sho...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 6,254
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 26, 2017 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,146
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Feb. 26, 2017 10:00 PM EST Reads: 13,758
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named "Platinum Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and 21st International Cloud Expo, which will take place in November in Silicon Valley, California.
Feb. 26, 2017 09:15 PM EST Reads: 2,532
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 26, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 9,039
Bert Loomis was a visionary. This general session will highlight how Bert Loomis and people like him inspire us to build great things with small inventions. In their general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Architect at IBM Bluemix, and Michael O'Neill, Strategic Business Development at Nvidia, discussed the accelerating pace of AI development and how IBM Cloud and NVIDIA are partnering to bring AI capabilities to "every day," on-demand. They also reviewed two "free infrastructure" pr...
Feb. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 5,236
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 26, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 2,075
WebRTC is about the data channel as much as about video and audio conferencing. However, basically all commercial WebRTC applications have been built with a focus on audio and video. The handling of “data” has been limited to text chat and file download – all other data sharing seems to end with screensharing. What is holding back a more intensive use of peer-to-peer data? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Dr Silvia Pfeiffer, WebRTC Applications Team Lead at National ICT Australia, looked at differ...
Feb. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 7,252
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 26, 2017 08:30 PM EST Reads: 848
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 26, 2017 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,146
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 2,465
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Feb. 26, 2017 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,328
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, whic...
Feb. 26, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 2,000
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Feb. 26, 2017 03:45 PM EST Reads: 2,759
With 10 simultaneous tracks, keynotes, general sessions and targeted breakout classes, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo are two of the most important technology events of the year. Since its launch over eight years ago, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo have presented a rock star faculty as well as showcased hundreds of sponsors and exhibitors! In this blog post, I provide 7 tips on how, as part of our world-class faculty, you can deliver one of the most popular sessions at our events. But before reading the...
Feb. 26, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 9,037
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,529
"Storage is growing. All of IDC's estimates say that unstructured data is now 80% of the world's data. We provide storage systems that can actually deal with that scale of data - software-defined storage systems," stated Paul Turner, Chief Product and Marketing Officer at Cloudian, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 17th Cloud Expo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 7,209