|By PR Newswire||
|November 8, 2012 12:01 AM EST||
ROCKVILLE, Md., Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Hillcrest Labs, a market leader in multiplatform motion software and products, today announced the newest addition to its family of Freespace® Sensor Modules: the FSM-9, a fully-integrated 9-axis inertial measurement unit (IMU). The FSM-9 is a turnkey solution that combines MEMS sensor hardware with Hillcrest's Freespace MotionEngine™ Universal sensor fusion software and a 32-bit microcontroller (MCU) in a compact surface-mount package. The FSM-9 is designed to enable fast development of high quality motion controlled products.
"The FSM-9 is an off-the-shelf motion solution that delivers ultimate performance for the rapidly growing markets where head-mounted displays and other wearable computers are used," said Chad Lucien, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Hillcrest Labs. "Our ultra-high performance 9-axis sensor fusion and calibration software, low power system, and low cost package, enables customers to easily and quickly integrate motion into products for these markets and a wide range of other applications."
The FSM-9 combines Hillcrest's MotionEngine Universal software on an embedded microprocessor, along with a 3-axis digital gyroscope, 3-axis digital accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer (compass). MotionEngine software combined with a proprietary factory testing and calibration process provides 360 degrees of high-performance motion data, including: heading, linear acceleration, angular position, angular velocity, and cursor position. Key features of the FSM-9 include: configurable sampling rates for motion output up to 250 Hz, contextual smoothing for jitter-free visualization, proprietary calibration methods to reduce gyro drift, comprehensive automated calibration, and advanced magnetic field interference tracking and filtering to improve performance in various environmental settings. Motion data communication is through either USB or SPI, and the module is supported by libfreespace, Hillcrest's open source motion control API, enabling easy integration into existing applications.
Compared to Hillcrest's 6-axis module (the FSM-6), the 9-axis module includes a heading reading, offers enhanced angular position accuracy, and reduces gyroscope drift. As such, the FSM-9 is an ideal solution for head-mounted displays (HMDs) and wearable computing used for virtual/augmented reality systems, military simulation, and law enforcement applications. In addition, the FSM-9 can be used in industrial automation, robotics, pedestrian navigation, health and fitness, and medical diagnostic products. Hillcrest currently works with numerous companies in these specialty areas, and expects the FSM-9 to be used by select customers in the coming months.
Freespace MotionEngine Universal is an extension of Hillcrest's MotionEngine Smart TV software embedded in the line of Roku 2 streaming media players and LG's Smart TVs. Other companies that have licensed Hillcrest's technology for use in their products include: Atmel, Eastman Kodak, Logitech, SMK Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., TCL Multimedia, Universal Electronics (UEI), and others. Hillcrest's global intellectual property portfolio includes more than 200 patent filings, covering critical methods for motion control of Smart TVs and other motion systems.
Hillcrest has received numerous awards and recognitions including the prestigious CES Innovations Honoree Award multiple times, EE Times' ACE Award, PC World's 100 Best Products and Greatest Tech Designs, Popular Mechanics' Editors Choice, ECN's Reader's Choice Tech, and many others. Additional information about Hillcrest's broad portfolio of natural motion control products is available at: www.HillcrestLabs.com. Follow Hillcrest on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HillcrestLabs or Twitter at @HillcrestLabs.
About Hillcrest Lab
Hillcrest Laboratories (a.k.a. Hillcrest Labs) is a market leader in multiplatform motion software and products. The company provides motion solutions under the Freespace® brand for Smart TVs, Blu-ray and streaming media players, smartphones and tablets, game controllers, and other markets. For consumers, Hillcrest offers the Kylo® browser, a free Web browser for TV. For additional information, visit www.hillcrestlabs.com.
Hillcrest Labs, Freespace, and MotionEngine are trademarks of Hillcrest Laboratories, Inc. All company names and other trademarks remain property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Hillcrest Labs
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- The Master Plan for Enterprise Mobility
- M, comme Microsoft, M comme... Minable !
- Dell Delivers Connected Security Vision with Innovative Solutions and Capabilities
- The Enthusiastic Employee: How Companies Profit by Giving Workers What They Want (2nd Ed) Book Review
- Why Google Apps is Still a Cloud Leader
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Cloud Expo Silicon Valley: Big Data Analytics with Google Cloud Platform
- File Sharing +1 : Harnessing Google’s Cloud Collaboration Architecture
- Brightlink Chooses Net Optics Director Pro to Raise Performance Levels
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?