|By Bob Gourley||
|November 7, 2012 10:52 AM EST||
- Samsung Sells 30 Million Galaxy S3 Units in 157 Days - The Galaxy S3 is being sold at 1 per .45 seconds right now. The S3 was Samsung’s attempt to fight back against the iPhone, and it is selling spectacularly. The S3 is without a doubt one of the top phones of the year, and only the Nexus 4 really stands ready to dislodge it. Via Droid-Life, more here.
- Xbox Surface: Microsoft’s 7-inch gaming tablet - I have written in the past that I find the 7″ tablet perfect for gaming, and it looks like Microsoft is going to get in on the party. The Xbox Surface will compete directly with the Nexus 7, the iPad Mini and the Amazon Kindle Fire HD, while providing users with access to the Xbox library of games. Via The Verge, more here.
- Motorola has announced Atrix HD Developer Edition - I’ll be honest, I have not been too impressed by any Atrix phones, the original was cool, but mostly only for the lapdock. However, Motorola is starting to release their phones with “Developer Editions,” unlocked bootloaders that come off contract and give you very little warranties if you ever unlock them. Via BetaNews, more here.
- Android 4.2 Google Apps Package Bundled and Available for Flashing on the Galaxy Nexus - you can follow the link below, but the biggest update for me is that it also includes pinch-to-zoom in Gmail, a great leap forward. I installed these on my Galaxy Nexus running AOKP, make sure to install ROM, install new GAPPs, then wipe Dalvik/Cache. Via Droid-Life, more here.
- Kobo Mini review: does the world need a small e-reader? E-readers are being phased out by many users, simply because quality tablets can replace them. However, e-readers are getting better and cheaper every year. The Kobo Mini is a tiny 5″ device, and Engadget has a review of the device, here.
- Sparrow’s iPhone 5 Update Spiked by Apple - Sparrow is the favorite email application of many iOS users. It was removed because of some Rich Text support issues, but will be re-updated soon, apparently with only support for iOS 6. Via Gizmodo, more here.
- Apple Looks To Add Jelly Bean, Galaxy Note 10.1 To Existing Samsung Lawsuit - As Samsung is moving past some of the issues that Apple claimed in their first major lawsuit, Apple is keeping up their litigious ways. Via TechCrunch, more here.
- Green Throttle Games Looks to Maximize Your Phone’s Gaming Capabilities - Green Throttle is looking to give you a proprietary Bluetooth controller and help you hook up your Android device to your big screen. This will let you play all your favorite Android games, as if it were a console system. Via Droid-Life, more here.
- This Collapsable Wireless Keyboard Is as Pocketable As Your Phone - Elecom has released a very cool looking pocketable keyboard ready to pair via Bluetooth with the phone or tablet of your choice. The only problem I can see, is the cost right now. It is being released at $182, which is over kill. Via Gizmodo, more here.
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 18, 2017 04:45 PM EST Reads: 4,499
Buzzword alert: Microservices and IoT at a DevOps conference? What could possibly go wrong? In this Power Panel at DevOps Summit, moderated by Jason Bloomberg, the leading expert on architecting agility for the enterprise and president of Intellyx, panelists peeled away the buzz and discuss the important architectural principles behind implementing IoT solutions for the enterprise. As remote IoT devices and sensors become increasingly intelligent, they become part of our distributed cloud enviro...
Jan. 18, 2017 04:30 PM EST Reads: 4,605
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 18, 2017 03:30 PM EST Reads: 3,666
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 02:45 PM EST Reads: 1,584
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 18, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 371
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,097
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 18, 2017 01:00 PM EST Reads: 5,592
Discover top technologies and tools all under one roof at April 24–28, 2017, at the Westin San Diego in San Diego, CA. Explore the Mobile Dev + Test and IoT Dev + Test Expo and enjoy all of these unique opportunities: The latest solutions, technologies, and tools in mobile or IoT software development and testing. Meet one-on-one with representatives from some of today's most innovative organizations
Jan. 18, 2017 12:15 PM EST Reads: 1,524
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 4,226
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 5,755
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 18, 2017 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,941
WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web communications world. The 6th WebRTC Summit continues our tradition of delivering the latest and greatest presentations within the world of WebRTC. Topics include voice calling, video chat, P2P file sharing, and use cases that have already leveraged the power and convenience of WebRTC.
Jan. 18, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 3,103
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 18, 2017 09:45 AM EST Reads: 11,553
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 18, 2017 08:15 AM EST Reads: 5,977
"A lot of times people will come to us and have a very diverse set of requirements or very customized need and we'll help them to implement it in a fashion that you can't just buy off of the shelf," explained Nick Rose, CTO of Enzu, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 18, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 4,632
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 2,765
WebRTC services have already permeated corporate communications in the form of videoconferencing solutions. However, WebRTC has the potential of going beyond and catalyzing a new class of services providing more than calls with capabilities such as mass-scale real-time media broadcasting, enriched and augmented video, person-to-machine and machine-to-machine communications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Luis Lopez, CEO of Kurento, introduced the technologies required for implementing these idea...
Jan. 18, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 4,633
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 18, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 1,186
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Jan. 18, 2017 05:45 AM EST Reads: 2,915
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with the 20th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. @ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
Jan. 18, 2017 05:15 AM EST Reads: 3,594