|By Business Wire||
|December 27, 2012 09:02 AM EST||
(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that for the eighth consecutive year, the company ranks #1 in customer satisfaction during the holiday shopping season according to the ForeSee annual Holiday E-Retail Satisfaction Index. ForeSee surveyed over 24,000 customers between Thanksgiving and Christmas, asking them to rate their satisfaction with the top 100 retailers. For the second year in a row, Amazon’s score of 88 is the highest ever attained by any retailer in the study. Amazon also announced today that 2012 was its biggest holiday ever with over 26.5 million items ordered worldwide on its peak day, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second. Also for the second year in a row, Amazon’s tablet was the most popular item for customers—Kindle Fire HD continued its run as the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items available on Amazon worldwide since its introduction 15 weeks ago.
“To achieve such high customer satisfaction scores and sustain them over time is a remarkable feat that remains unmatched by any other e-retailer,” Larry Freed, author of the study and president and CEO of ForeSee, a customer experience analytics firm.
“We are grateful to customers for once again ranking us at the top of the ForeSee customer satisfaction survey and for choosing to shop at Amazon this holiday,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “On behalf of Amazon employees around the world, we wish everyone happy holidays and the very best for the coming year.”
Kindle and Amazon Digital Facts:
- Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle hold the top four spots on the Amazon worldwide best seller charts since launch.
- Cyber Monday 2012 was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide.
- Christmas Day was the biggest day ever for digital downloads across Amazon’s selection of over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games.
- The most gifted Kindle book during the holiday season was “The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail-but Some Don't,” by Nate Silver.
- Selection in the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library in 2012 grew from 75,000 books to over 250,000 books—books that Kindle owners with a Prime membership can borrow for free with no due dates in the US, UK, Germany and France.
- More than 175,000 exclusive books were added to the Kindle store in 2012.
- 23 Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) authors each sold over 250,000 copies of their books in 2012. Top sellers this year include Hugh Howey, author of the New York Times best seller “WOOL,” Stephanie Bond, author of “Stop the Wedding!,” the #2 best-selling book in the Kindle Store in December, and Barbara Freethy and CJ Lyons—both members of the Kindle Million Club.
- Amazon’s digital media selection grew to over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games in 2012, an increase from 19 million in 2011.
- Prime Instant Video selection increased from 12,000 to over 33,000 movies and TV episodes in 2012. Amazon Instant Video selection increased from 100,000 to 145,000 movies and TV episodes.
- Amazon Appstore for Android selection nearly tripled in 2012 over 2011.
- Sales of apps and games during the holiday period alone were up more than 250 percent over the same period last year.
Holiday Fun Facts:
- Amazon customers took advantage of free shipping over the holidays, saving hundreds of millions of dollars with Amazon Prime and Free Super Saver Shipping.
- On its peak day, Amazon’s worldwide fulfillment network shipped over 15.6 million units across all product categories.
- The last Prime One-Day Shipping order that was delivered in time for Christmas was placed on Dec. 22 at 11:52 p.m. PST and shipped to Fayetteville, GA. The item was Roxy Women’s Hot Cocoa Slippers.
- The last Local Express Delivery order that was delivered in time for Christmas went to Seattle, WA. It was a Case Logic 14.1-Inch Laptop Attaché that was ordered at 11:44 a.m. PST on Christmas Eve and delivered at 2:44 p.m. PST.
- On the peak day, Nov. 26, customers ordered more than 26.5 million items worldwide across all product categories, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second.
- Amazon customers purchased more than one toy per second on mobile devices.
- Amazon customers purchased enough copies of the “Fifty Shades” trilogy by E.L. James, including “Fifty Shades of Grey,” “Fifty Shades Darker,” “Fifty Shades Freed” and the trilogy box set, to create a stack 445 times taller than the Space Needle.
- The cumulative weight of the “Bond 50” Blu-ray sets purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season would be 800 times the weight of Daniel Craig.
- If each customer that purchased a copy of Just Dance 4 played the game for one hour, the total number of calories burned would equal half a million slices of fruitcake.
- Amazon customers purchased enough TVs to cover the field of every NFL stadium.
- Amazon customers purchased enough vinyl copies of The Beatles albums that if laid flat would extend 20 times the length of Abbey Road in London.
- The Amazon MP3 store has sold enough music for everyone at Woodstock ’69 to jam out to another three days of music for peace and love.
- If you stacked every Christmas Story Leg Lamp purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season, the height would reach the top of Mt. Everest.
- Amazon customers purchased enough sports team garden gnomes to fill every seat in Madison Square Garden.
- Amazon customers purchased enough Angry Birds plush toys to stretch 285 times the height of the tallest tree in the world, located in California’s Redwood Forest.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough Lindt truffles to serve one to every traveler passing through Chicago O’Hare Airport over a weekend.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough HDMI cables to make three round-trips to the International Space Station.
- Amazon customers added more than 15 million toys to their Wish Lists this holiday season.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- Electronics: Kindle Fire HD 7”; Kindle Fire; and Kindle Fire HD 8.9”
- TVs: VIZIO 60-inch Razor LED Smart HDTV; Panasonic VIERA 55-Inch 3D Plasma TV; and Samsung 32-Inch LED HDTV
- Cameras: Canon PowerShot A2300 Digital Camera; Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera; and Canon 55-250mm Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Toys: Spot It; Perplexus Maze Game; and LEGO Ultimate Building Set
- Baby: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes; Cloud b Twilight Turtle Constellation Night Light; and Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
- Video Games: Just Dance 4; Call of Duty: Black Ops II; and Assassin’s Creed III
- Books: “Fifty Shades of Grey” by E.L. James; “Fifty Shades Darker” by E.L. James; and “Fifty Shades Freed” by E.L. James
- Kindle Books: “The Racketeer” by John Grisham; “Gone Girl: A Novel” by Gillian Flynn; and “The Edge of Never” by J.A. Redmerski
- Music: “Red” by Taylor Swift; “Merry Christmas, Baby” by Rod Stewart; and “Babel” by Mumford & Sons
- Amazon MP3: “The Essential NOW That's What I Call Christmas” by various artists; “Night Visions” by Imagine Dragons; and “Holidays Rule” by various artists
- Movies & TV: “Dr. Seuss' The Lorax” (DVD); “The Dark Knight Rises” (Blu-ray/DVD combo); and “The Dark Knight” Trilogy (Blu-ray)
- Amazon Instant Video: “Brave”; “The Campaign”; and “The Dark Knight Rises”
- Amazon Appstore for Android: Angry Birds Star Wars Premium HD (Kindle Tablet Edition); Minecraft – Pocket Edition; and HD Camera (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Sports & Outdoors: SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop; Mongoose BMX Bike Gel Knee and Elbow Pads; and Razor A Kick Scooter
- Home: Swarovski 2012 Annual Edition Crystal Snowflake Ornament; Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set; and Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
- Kitchen: Corkcicle Classic Wine Chiller; Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Hand Blender; and Oster Wine Opener with Chiller
- Watches: Timex Kids' My First Outdoor Black Fast Wrap Velcro Strap Watch; XOXO Women's Rhinestone Accent Gold-Tone Bracelet Watch; and Invicta Men's Pro Diver Collection Silver-Tone Watch
- Jewelry: "You Hold My Heart Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; "A Mother Holds Her Childs Hand For A Short While and Their Hearts Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; and "My Sister My Friend" Open Circle Pendant Necklace
- Clothing: Levi's Men's 501 Jean; Levi's Men's 505 Straight Fit Jean; and Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean
- Shoes: UGG Australia Women's Classic Short Boot; Clarks Originals Men's Desert Boot; and TOMS Women's Canvas Slip-On
- Beauty: HSI The Styler Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener; Set of 10 Nail Tape Stripe Decoration Sticker Hologram; and SHANY Professional 13-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch
- Health & Personal Care: Panasonic Vortex Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer; Braun Series Pulsonic Shaver System; and Philips Norelco SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor
- Tools & Home Improvement: Nest Thermostat; Streamlight Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight; and DEWALT 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
- Automotive: Swiss+Tech Micro-Max 19-in-1 Keychain; Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger; and Reindeer Car Costume
- Grocery: Donut Shop K-Cup Packs; Unique Sampler K-Cup Portion Pack; and Ekobrew Cup
- Wine: 2010 Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon Cabernet Sauvignon; 2010 Rolling Stones Forty Licks Merlot; and 2011 Parducci Small Lot Blend Pinot Noir
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and www.amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Jan. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 2,539
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 26, 2015 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,506
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Jan. 26, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,861
The Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly in the process of breaking from its heretofore relatively obscure enterprise applications (such as plant floor control and supply chain management) and going mainstream into the consumer space. More and more creative folks are interconnecting everyday products such as household items, mobile devices, appliances and cars, and unleashing new and imaginative scenarios. We are seeing a lot of excitement around applications in home automation, personal fitness, and in-car entertainment and this excitement will bleed into other areas. On the commercial side, m...
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,811
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,680
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 3,076
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
Jan. 26, 2015 05:45 PM EST Reads: 3,117
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Jan. 26, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 7,611
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 26, 2015 05:00 PM EST Reads: 2,525
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,362
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your online presence.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,934
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:00 PM EST Reads: 3,534
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the technology industry and how do they see opportunities for other women in their area of expertise.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,120
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,284
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,873
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 26, 2015 12:00 PM EST Reads: 1,331
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,559
Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) are increasing at an unprecedented rate. The threat landscape of today is drastically different than just a few years ago. Attacks are much more organized and sophisticated. They are harder to detect and even harder to anticipate. In the foreseeable future it's going to get a whole lot harder. Everything you know today will change. Keeping up with this changing landscape is already a daunting task. Your organization needs to use the latest tools, methods and expertise to guard against those threats. But will that be enough? In the foreseeable future attacks w...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,918
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,855
Building low-cost wearable devices can enhance the quality of our lives. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Sai Yamanoor, Embedded Software Engineer at Altschool, provided an example of putting together a small keychain within a $50 budget that educates the user about the air quality in their surroundings. He also provided examples such as building a wearable device that provides transit or recreational information. He then reviewed the resources available to build wearable devices at home including open source hardware, the raw materials required and the options available to power s...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,091