|By Business Wire||
|December 27, 2012 09:02 AM EST||
(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that for the eighth consecutive year, the company ranks #1 in customer satisfaction during the holiday shopping season according to the ForeSee annual Holiday E-Retail Satisfaction Index. ForeSee surveyed over 24,000 customers between Thanksgiving and Christmas, asking them to rate their satisfaction with the top 100 retailers. For the second year in a row, Amazon’s score of 88 is the highest ever attained by any retailer in the study. Amazon also announced today that 2012 was its biggest holiday ever with over 26.5 million items ordered worldwide on its peak day, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second. Also for the second year in a row, Amazon’s tablet was the most popular item for customers—Kindle Fire HD continued its run as the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items available on Amazon worldwide since its introduction 15 weeks ago.
“To achieve such high customer satisfaction scores and sustain them over time is a remarkable feat that remains unmatched by any other e-retailer,” Larry Freed, author of the study and president and CEO of ForeSee, a customer experience analytics firm.
“We are grateful to customers for once again ranking us at the top of the ForeSee customer satisfaction survey and for choosing to shop at Amazon this holiday,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “On behalf of Amazon employees around the world, we wish everyone happy holidays and the very best for the coming year.”
Kindle and Amazon Digital Facts:
- Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle hold the top four spots on the Amazon worldwide best seller charts since launch.
- Cyber Monday 2012 was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide.
- Christmas Day was the biggest day ever for digital downloads across Amazon’s selection of over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games.
- The most gifted Kindle book during the holiday season was “The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail-but Some Don't,” by Nate Silver.
- Selection in the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library in 2012 grew from 75,000 books to over 250,000 books—books that Kindle owners with a Prime membership can borrow for free with no due dates in the US, UK, Germany and France.
- More than 175,000 exclusive books were added to the Kindle store in 2012.
- 23 Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) authors each sold over 250,000 copies of their books in 2012. Top sellers this year include Hugh Howey, author of the New York Times best seller “WOOL,” Stephanie Bond, author of “Stop the Wedding!,” the #2 best-selling book in the Kindle Store in December, and Barbara Freethy and CJ Lyons—both members of the Kindle Million Club.
- Amazon’s digital media selection grew to over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games in 2012, an increase from 19 million in 2011.
- Prime Instant Video selection increased from 12,000 to over 33,000 movies and TV episodes in 2012. Amazon Instant Video selection increased from 100,000 to 145,000 movies and TV episodes.
- Amazon Appstore for Android selection nearly tripled in 2012 over 2011.
- Sales of apps and games during the holiday period alone were up more than 250 percent over the same period last year.
Holiday Fun Facts:
- Amazon customers took advantage of free shipping over the holidays, saving hundreds of millions of dollars with Amazon Prime and Free Super Saver Shipping.
- On its peak day, Amazon’s worldwide fulfillment network shipped over 15.6 million units across all product categories.
- The last Prime One-Day Shipping order that was delivered in time for Christmas was placed on Dec. 22 at 11:52 p.m. PST and shipped to Fayetteville, GA. The item was Roxy Women’s Hot Cocoa Slippers.
- The last Local Express Delivery order that was delivered in time for Christmas went to Seattle, WA. It was a Case Logic 14.1-Inch Laptop Attaché that was ordered at 11:44 a.m. PST on Christmas Eve and delivered at 2:44 p.m. PST.
- On the peak day, Nov. 26, customers ordered more than 26.5 million items worldwide across all product categories, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second.
- Amazon customers purchased more than one toy per second on mobile devices.
- Amazon customers purchased enough copies of the “Fifty Shades” trilogy by E.L. James, including “Fifty Shades of Grey,” “Fifty Shades Darker,” “Fifty Shades Freed” and the trilogy box set, to create a stack 445 times taller than the Space Needle.
- The cumulative weight of the “Bond 50” Blu-ray sets purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season would be 800 times the weight of Daniel Craig.
- If each customer that purchased a copy of Just Dance 4 played the game for one hour, the total number of calories burned would equal half a million slices of fruitcake.
- Amazon customers purchased enough TVs to cover the field of every NFL stadium.
- Amazon customers purchased enough vinyl copies of The Beatles albums that if laid flat would extend 20 times the length of Abbey Road in London.
- The Amazon MP3 store has sold enough music for everyone at Woodstock ’69 to jam out to another three days of music for peace and love.
- If you stacked every Christmas Story Leg Lamp purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season, the height would reach the top of Mt. Everest.
- Amazon customers purchased enough sports team garden gnomes to fill every seat in Madison Square Garden.
- Amazon customers purchased enough Angry Birds plush toys to stretch 285 times the height of the tallest tree in the world, located in California’s Redwood Forest.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough Lindt truffles to serve one to every traveler passing through Chicago O’Hare Airport over a weekend.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough HDMI cables to make three round-trips to the International Space Station.
- Amazon customers added more than 15 million toys to their Wish Lists this holiday season.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- Electronics: Kindle Fire HD 7”; Kindle Fire; and Kindle Fire HD 8.9”
- TVs: VIZIO 60-inch Razor LED Smart HDTV; Panasonic VIERA 55-Inch 3D Plasma TV; and Samsung 32-Inch LED HDTV
- Cameras: Canon PowerShot A2300 Digital Camera; Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera; and Canon 55-250mm Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Toys: Spot It; Perplexus Maze Game; and LEGO Ultimate Building Set
- Baby: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes; Cloud b Twilight Turtle Constellation Night Light; and Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
- Video Games: Just Dance 4; Call of Duty: Black Ops II; and Assassin’s Creed III
- Books: “Fifty Shades of Grey” by E.L. James; “Fifty Shades Darker” by E.L. James; and “Fifty Shades Freed” by E.L. James
- Kindle Books: “The Racketeer” by John Grisham; “Gone Girl: A Novel” by Gillian Flynn; and “The Edge of Never” by J.A. Redmerski
- Music: “Red” by Taylor Swift; “Merry Christmas, Baby” by Rod Stewart; and “Babel” by Mumford & Sons
- Amazon MP3: “The Essential NOW That's What I Call Christmas” by various artists; “Night Visions” by Imagine Dragons; and “Holidays Rule” by various artists
- Movies & TV: “Dr. Seuss' The Lorax” (DVD); “The Dark Knight Rises” (Blu-ray/DVD combo); and “The Dark Knight” Trilogy (Blu-ray)
- Amazon Instant Video: “Brave”; “The Campaign”; and “The Dark Knight Rises”
- Amazon Appstore for Android: Angry Birds Star Wars Premium HD (Kindle Tablet Edition); Minecraft – Pocket Edition; and HD Camera (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Sports & Outdoors: SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop; Mongoose BMX Bike Gel Knee and Elbow Pads; and Razor A Kick Scooter
- Home: Swarovski 2012 Annual Edition Crystal Snowflake Ornament; Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set; and Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
- Kitchen: Corkcicle Classic Wine Chiller; Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Hand Blender; and Oster Wine Opener with Chiller
- Watches: Timex Kids' My First Outdoor Black Fast Wrap Velcro Strap Watch; XOXO Women's Rhinestone Accent Gold-Tone Bracelet Watch; and Invicta Men's Pro Diver Collection Silver-Tone Watch
- Jewelry: "You Hold My Heart Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; "A Mother Holds Her Childs Hand For A Short While and Their Hearts Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; and "My Sister My Friend" Open Circle Pendant Necklace
- Clothing: Levi's Men's 501 Jean; Levi's Men's 505 Straight Fit Jean; and Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean
- Shoes: UGG Australia Women's Classic Short Boot; Clarks Originals Men's Desert Boot; and TOMS Women's Canvas Slip-On
- Beauty: HSI The Styler Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener; Set of 10 Nail Tape Stripe Decoration Sticker Hologram; and SHANY Professional 13-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch
- Health & Personal Care: Panasonic Vortex Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer; Braun Series Pulsonic Shaver System; and Philips Norelco SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor
- Tools & Home Improvement: Nest Thermostat; Streamlight Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight; and DEWALT 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
- Automotive: Swiss+Tech Micro-Max 19-in-1 Keychain; Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger; and Reindeer Car Costume
- Grocery: Donut Shop K-Cup Packs; Unique Sampler K-Cup Portion Pack; and Ekobrew Cup
- Wine: 2010 Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon Cabernet Sauvignon; 2010 Rolling Stones Forty Licks Merlot; and 2011 Parducci Small Lot Blend Pinot Noir
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and www.amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 4, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,150
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 4, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,324
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 4, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,420
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 4, 2016 12:47 PM EDT Reads: 260
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 4, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 897
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
May. 4, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 580
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 4, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,251
A critical component of any IoT project is the back-end systems that capture data from remote IoT devices and structure it in a way to answer useful questions. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle large data sets, but they are not well suited to many IoT-scale products and the need for real-time insights. At Fuze, we have developed a backend platform as part of our mobility-oriented cloud service that uses Big Data-based approache...
May. 4, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 580
trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vice president of product management, IoT solutions at GlobalSign, will teach IoT developers how t...
May. 4, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 521
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 4, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,335
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 4, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,231
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 4, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,297
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 4, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,380
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 4, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,515
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 4, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,004
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
May. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,266
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 4, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,191
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
May. 4, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,359
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 3, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,232
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 3, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,616