|By Business Wire||
|December 27, 2012 09:02 AM EST||
(NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today announced that for the eighth consecutive year, the company ranks #1 in customer satisfaction during the holiday shopping season according to the ForeSee annual Holiday E-Retail Satisfaction Index. ForeSee surveyed over 24,000 customers between Thanksgiving and Christmas, asking them to rate their satisfaction with the top 100 retailers. For the second year in a row, Amazon’s score of 88 is the highest ever attained by any retailer in the study. Amazon also announced today that 2012 was its biggest holiday ever with over 26.5 million items ordered worldwide on its peak day, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second. Also for the second year in a row, Amazon’s tablet was the most popular item for customers—Kindle Fire HD continued its run as the #1 best-selling, most gifted, and most wished for product across the millions of items available on Amazon worldwide since its introduction 15 weeks ago.
“To achieve such high customer satisfaction scores and sustain them over time is a remarkable feat that remains unmatched by any other e-retailer,” Larry Freed, author of the study and president and CEO of ForeSee, a customer experience analytics firm.
“We are grateful to customers for once again ranking us at the top of the ForeSee customer satisfaction survey and for choosing to shop at Amazon this holiday,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “On behalf of Amazon employees around the world, we wish everyone happy holidays and the very best for the coming year.”
Kindle and Amazon Digital Facts:
- Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle hold the top four spots on the Amazon worldwide best seller charts since launch.
- Cyber Monday 2012 was the biggest day ever for Kindle sales worldwide.
- Christmas Day was the biggest day ever for digital downloads across Amazon’s selection of over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games.
- The most gifted Kindle book during the holiday season was “The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail-but Some Don't,” by Nate Silver.
- Selection in the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library in 2012 grew from 75,000 books to over 250,000 books—books that Kindle owners with a Prime membership can borrow for free with no due dates in the US, UK, Germany and France.
- More than 175,000 exclusive books were added to the Kindle store in 2012.
- 23 Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) authors each sold over 250,000 copies of their books in 2012. Top sellers this year include Hugh Howey, author of the New York Times best seller “WOOL,” Stephanie Bond, author of “Stop the Wedding!,” the #2 best-selling book in the Kindle Store in December, and Barbara Freethy and CJ Lyons—both members of the Kindle Million Club.
- Amazon’s digital media selection grew to over 23 million movies, TV shows, songs, magazines, books, audiobooks, and popular apps and games in 2012, an increase from 19 million in 2011.
- Prime Instant Video selection increased from 12,000 to over 33,000 movies and TV episodes in 2012. Amazon Instant Video selection increased from 100,000 to 145,000 movies and TV episodes.
- Amazon Appstore for Android selection nearly tripled in 2012 over 2011.
- Sales of apps and games during the holiday period alone were up more than 250 percent over the same period last year.
Holiday Fun Facts:
- Amazon customers took advantage of free shipping over the holidays, saving hundreds of millions of dollars with Amazon Prime and Free Super Saver Shipping.
- On its peak day, Amazon’s worldwide fulfillment network shipped over 15.6 million units across all product categories.
- The last Prime One-Day Shipping order that was delivered in time for Christmas was placed on Dec. 22 at 11:52 p.m. PST and shipped to Fayetteville, GA. The item was Roxy Women’s Hot Cocoa Slippers.
- The last Local Express Delivery order that was delivered in time for Christmas went to Seattle, WA. It was a Case Logic 14.1-Inch Laptop Attaché that was ordered at 11:44 a.m. PST on Christmas Eve and delivered at 2:44 p.m. PST.
- On the peak day, Nov. 26, customers ordered more than 26.5 million items worldwide across all product categories, which is a record-breaking 306 items per second.
- Amazon customers purchased more than one toy per second on mobile devices.
- Amazon customers purchased enough copies of the “Fifty Shades” trilogy by E.L. James, including “Fifty Shades of Grey,” “Fifty Shades Darker,” “Fifty Shades Freed” and the trilogy box set, to create a stack 445 times taller than the Space Needle.
- The cumulative weight of the “Bond 50” Blu-ray sets purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season would be 800 times the weight of Daniel Craig.
- If each customer that purchased a copy of Just Dance 4 played the game for one hour, the total number of calories burned would equal half a million slices of fruitcake.
- Amazon customers purchased enough TVs to cover the field of every NFL stadium.
- Amazon customers purchased enough vinyl copies of The Beatles albums that if laid flat would extend 20 times the length of Abbey Road in London.
- The Amazon MP3 store has sold enough music for everyone at Woodstock ’69 to jam out to another three days of music for peace and love.
- If you stacked every Christmas Story Leg Lamp purchased by Amazon customers this holiday season, the height would reach the top of Mt. Everest.
- Amazon customers purchased enough sports team garden gnomes to fill every seat in Madison Square Garden.
- Amazon customers purchased enough Angry Birds plush toys to stretch 285 times the height of the tallest tree in the world, located in California’s Redwood Forest.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough Lindt truffles to serve one to every traveler passing through Chicago O’Hare Airport over a weekend.
- Amazon’s third-party sellers sold enough HDMI cables to make three round-trips to the International Space Station.
- Amazon customers added more than 15 million toys to their Wish Lists this holiday season.
Holiday Best Sellers (Amazon.com only):
- Electronics: Kindle Fire HD 7”; Kindle Fire; and Kindle Fire HD 8.9”
- TVs: VIZIO 60-inch Razor LED Smart HDTV; Panasonic VIERA 55-Inch 3D Plasma TV; and Samsung 32-Inch LED HDTV
- Cameras: Canon PowerShot A2300 Digital Camera; Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera; and Canon 55-250mm Telephoto Zoom Lens
- Toys: Spot It; Perplexus Maze Game; and LEGO Ultimate Building Set
- Baby: Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes; Cloud b Twilight Turtle Constellation Night Light; and Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether
- Video Games: Just Dance 4; Call of Duty: Black Ops II; and Assassin’s Creed III
- Books: “Fifty Shades of Grey” by E.L. James; “Fifty Shades Darker” by E.L. James; and “Fifty Shades Freed” by E.L. James
- Kindle Books: “The Racketeer” by John Grisham; “Gone Girl: A Novel” by Gillian Flynn; and “The Edge of Never” by J.A. Redmerski
- Music: “Red” by Taylor Swift; “Merry Christmas, Baby” by Rod Stewart; and “Babel” by Mumford & Sons
- Amazon MP3: “The Essential NOW That's What I Call Christmas” by various artists; “Night Visions” by Imagine Dragons; and “Holidays Rule” by various artists
- Movies & TV: “Dr. Seuss' The Lorax” (DVD); “The Dark Knight Rises” (Blu-ray/DVD combo); and “The Dark Knight” Trilogy (Blu-ray)
- Amazon Instant Video: “Brave”; “The Campaign”; and “The Dark Knight Rises”
- Amazon Appstore for Android: Angry Birds Star Wars Premium HD (Kindle Tablet Edition); Minecraft – Pocket Edition; and HD Camera (Kindle Tablet Edition)
- Sports & Outdoors: SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball Hoop; Mongoose BMX Bike Gel Knee and Elbow Pads; and Razor A Kick Scooter
- Home: Swarovski 2012 Annual Edition Crystal Snowflake Ornament; Darice 80-Piece Deluxe Art Set; and Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
- Kitchen: Corkcicle Classic Wine Chiller; Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Hand Blender; and Oster Wine Opener with Chiller
- Watches: Timex Kids' My First Outdoor Black Fast Wrap Velcro Strap Watch; XOXO Women's Rhinestone Accent Gold-Tone Bracelet Watch; and Invicta Men's Pro Diver Collection Silver-Tone Watch
- Jewelry: "You Hold My Heart Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; "A Mother Holds Her Childs Hand For A Short While and Their Hearts Forever" Heart Pendant Necklace; and "My Sister My Friend" Open Circle Pendant Necklace
- Clothing: Levi's Men's 501 Jean; Levi's Men's 505 Straight Fit Jean; and Levi's Men's 550 Relaxed Fit Jean
- Shoes: UGG Australia Women's Classic Short Boot; Clarks Originals Men's Desert Boot; and TOMS Women's Canvas Slip-On
- Beauty: HSI The Styler Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Flat Iron Hair Straightener; Set of 10 Nail Tape Stripe Decoration Sticker Hologram; and SHANY Professional 13-Piece Cosmetic Brush Set with Pouch
- Health & Personal Care: Panasonic Vortex Nose and Facial Hair Trimmer; Braun Series Pulsonic Shaver System; and Philips Norelco SensoTouch 2D Electric Razor
- Tools & Home Improvement: Nest Thermostat; Streamlight Nano Light Miniature Keychain LED Flashlight; and DEWALT 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit
- Automotive: Swiss+Tech Micro-Max 19-in-1 Keychain; Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger; and Reindeer Car Costume
- Grocery: Donut Shop K-Cup Packs; Unique Sampler K-Cup Portion Pack; and Ekobrew Cup
- Wine: 2010 Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon Cabernet Sauvignon; 2010 Rolling Stones Forty Licks Merlot; and 2011 Parducci Small Lot Blend Pinot Noir
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and www.amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
If you’re responsible for an application that depends on the data or functionality of various IoT endpoints – either sensors or devices – your brand reputation depends on the security, reliability, and compliance of its many integrated parts. If your application fails to deliver the expected business results, your customers and partners won't care if that failure stems from the code you developed or from a component that you integrated. What can you do to ensure that the endpoints work as expect...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,626
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,041
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 27, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,538
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 436
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 26, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,004
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,165
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,400
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,592
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,906
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 26, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,619
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 26, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,732
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,570
Enterprise IT has been in the era of Hybrid Cloud for some time now. But it seems most conversations about Hybrid are focused on integrating AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google ECM into existing on-premises systems. Where is all the Private Cloud? What do technology providers need to do to make their offerings more compelling? How should enterprise IT executives and buyers define their focus, needs, and roadmap, and communicate that clearly to the providers?
Sep. 26, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,564
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,641
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, will discuss the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports. The session will include a working demo and a technical d...
Sep. 26, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,723
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,597
Digital innovation is the next big wave of business transformation based on digital technologies of which IoT and Big Data are key components, For example: Business boundary innovation is a challenge to excavate third-party business value using IoT and BigData, like Nest Business structure innovation may propose re-building business structure from scratch, as Uber does in the taxicab industry The social model innovation is also a big challenge to the new social architecture with the design fr...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,189
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,646
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,437
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,757