|By Keith Mayer||
|May 13, 2013 09:00 AM EDT||
This month, my fellow IT Pro Technical Evangelists and I are authoring a new articles series on 20 Key Scenarios with Windows Azure Infrastructure Services. You can catch the full series at http://aka.ms/CloudTop20. In today's article in this series, we'll discuss extending our On-premises Datacenter into a Hybrid Network Infrastructure with Windows Server 2012, Windows Azure Virtual Networks and Site-to-Site VPN Tunnels.
Windows Azure Virtual Networks allow us to securely extend our Private Cloud with a hybrid network infrastructure that leverages the best of two worlds: the low-latency and high-bandwidth available with our on-premise datacenter networks with the elastic, pay-as-you-go cloud model of Windows Azure Virtual Networks and Virtual Machines.
Windows Azure Virtual Networks offers the power to open up several cross-premises use case scenarios, including:
- Active Directory Disaster Recovery
- SQL Database Replication
- Windows Server 2012 DFS-R File Replication
- Accelerated Cloud File Services with BranchCache
- Hybrid Web Applications
- and MORE!
But … we need to configure the Virtual Network FIRST … which is what this Guided Hands-on Lab Scenario is all about!
Once configured, a Windows Azure Virtual Network gives us the power as IT Pros to pick where each application workload is hosted – either on-premises or in Windows Azure – based on the network, storage, security and Internet requirements of each application. However, as an interconnected hybrid scenario, we can continue to manage VMs centrally with System Center 2012 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 Server Manager, regardless of where those VMs may really live.
Guided Lab Exercises
In this Guided Lab Scenario, you’ll complete the end-to-end configuration steps for building:
- Windows Azure Virtual Network and IP Address Space
- Virtualized Subnets for VM and VPN Gateway workloads
- Site-to-Site IPsec VPN Tunnel for secure cross-premises connectivity
- Virtual VPN Gateways in Windows Azure
- On-premises VPN Gateway using Windows Server 2012
Once you’re done, you’ll test the configuration by placing a Windows Azure Virtual Machine on your newly provisioned Virtual Network.
Estimated Completion Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Let’s Get Started!
To launch this Guided Lab Scenario, click the Play button in the window below.
Guided Lab Scenario: Windows Azure Virtual Networks
Guided Lab Tips:
- After launching the lab in the window above, you may wish to also click the Show Full Screen button in the lower right portion of the window for best viewing.
- The lab captions can be moved by clicking/dragging if they obscure a portion of your Guided Lab window, particularly when using lower screen resolutions.
Get the associated 48-Page Step-by-Step Lab Guide for FREE ...
If you'd like a copy of the 48-Page Step-by-Step Lab Guide that is associated with this Guided Hands-on Lab for reference when building our your own virtual networks ... just follow the easy steps below to get it sent to you!
You'll receive an email in response with your 48-Page Lab Guide Attached!
Completed! Now what can I do with a Virtual Network?
Now that you know the steps for creating a secure cross-premises Virtual Network with Windows Azure, check out the following hybrid network scenarios that can leverage this Virtual Network as part of your Private Cloud infrastructure:
- AD Disaster Recovery: Extend On-Premise Active Directory to the Cloud
- File Services: Accelerate the Cloud with Windows Server 2012 “BranchCache”
- Web Applications: Connect PaaS and IaaS Applications in the Cloud
- Dev, Pilot, Test Environments: Templating VMs in the Cloud with Windows Azure
And ... while you're at it, be sure to check out the rest of our recent blog article series at:
- READ IT: Build Your Private Cloud in a Month
- READ IT: 20 Key Scenarios with Windows Azure Infrastructure Services
Are you using Windows Azure Virtual Networks?
Do you have interesting use cases or scenarios that you’re delivering with Windows Azure Virtual Networks? Feel free to leave your comments and feedback below to share across our IT Pro community!
|Build Your Lab! Download Windows Server 2012|
|Don’t Have a Lab? Build Your Lab in the Cloud with Windows Azure Virtual Machines|
|Want to Get Certified? Join our Windows Server 2012 "Early Experts" Study Group|
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- The Master Plan for Enterprise Mobility
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- GENBAND Showcases WebRTC and Cloud
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?