|By Mark R. Hinkle||
|August 13, 2013 06:50 AM EDT||
Last month I was fortunate enough to give a couple of talks at OSCON. I was particularly pleased with the reception my keynote received on Creating Communities of Inclusion, which touched on some topics beyond the typical licensing and community around open source software. I was was also asked to expand on these topics at OpenSource.com. Here are the abstracts and links to the presentations and article.
Free and open source software is equal parts technology and humanity. Beyond the coding standards, development environments and essential parts of delivering free software the ideals that drive this movement are powerful. This is a reflection on the lessons gleaned from successful F/LOSS communities and a call to action to spread their ideals to other endeavors such as medicine and government. (video and slides here)
And while the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (HHGTTG) is a wholly remarkable book it doesn’t cover the nuances of cloud computing. Whether you want to build a public, private or hybrid cloud there are free and open source tools that can help provide you a complete solution or help augment your existing Amazon or other hosted cloud solution. That’s why you need the Hitchhiker’s Guide to (Open Source) Cloud Computing (HHGTCC) or at least to attend this talk understand the current state of open source cloud computing. This talk will cover infrastructure-as-a-service, platform-as-a-service and developments in big data and how to more effectively deploy and manage open source flavors of these technologies. Specific the guide will cover:
- Infrastructure-as-a-Service – The Systems Cloud – Get a comparison of the open source cloud platforms including OpenStack, Apache CloudStack, Eucalyptus and OpenNebula
- Platform-as-a-Service – The Developers Cloud – Learn about the tools that abstract the complexity for developers and used to build portable auto-scaling applications ton CloudFoundry, OpenShift, Stackato and more.
- Data-as-a-Service – The Analytics Cloud – Want to figure out the who, what, where, when and why of big data? You’ll get an overview of open source NoSQL databases and technologies like MapReduce to help parallelize data mining tasks and crunch massive data sets in the cloud.
- Network-as-a-Service – The Network Cloud – The final pillar for truly fungible network infrastructure is network virtualization. We will give an overview of software-defined networking including OpenStack Quantum, Nicira, open Vswitch and others.
Finally this talk will provide an overview of the tools that can help you really take advantage of the cloud. Do you want to auto-scale to serve millions of web pages and scale back down as demand fluctuates. Are you interested in automating the total lifecycle of cloud computing environments You’ll learn how to combine these tools into tool chains to provide continuous deployment systems that will help you become agile and spend more time improving your IT rather than simply maintaining it.
[Finally, for those of you that are Douglas Adams fans please accept the deepest apologies for bad analogies to the HHGTTG.]
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- The Master Plan for Enterprise Mobility
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- GENBAND Showcases WebRTC and Cloud
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?