|By Cloud Ventures||
|September 26, 2013 09:00 AM EDT||
We are now working on the next chapter for our white paper Enterprise Cloud Computing, which is entitled OpenStack for the Enterprise.
As the name suggests the goal is to provide a succinct but comprehensive overview of one of the technology platforms available to CIOs to implement their Enterprise Cloud strategy: OpenStack.
Enterprise and Big Data Cloud Computing
As well as the general EA principles of Private Clouds, what specific pain point solutions might the enterprise look for from Openstack providers, that the technology is especially adept at providing.
For example Ubuntu 13.04 delivers OpenStack with high availability, scalable storage and big data deployment capabilities. Similarly Nati Shalom of Gigapaces describes “Big Data On OpenStack”.
Dell is offering Crowbar.
An essential skill set and tool set area is the process of migrating legacy apps to the Cloud. Gigaspaces offer Cloudify, and in this blog describe Migrating from Amazon to Openstack, a contentious issue recently in the OpenStack blogosphere.
Nati Shalom makes a critical point about their product, that it makes SaaS-enablement possible without code changes, a critical point for both ISVs as well as Enterprise Architects, for the same reasons of scalability of important enterprise apps, streamlined delivery and user billing and reporting.
PaaS and DevOps
As well as an IaaS focus we will also look at the role of OpenStack in PaaS goals, where the objectives are more about software developer productivity, DevOps et al.
In this blog Nati Shalom describes AWS OpsWorks, as part of explaining PaaS and DevOps. Canonical offers “JuJu”: This can enable “Micro clouds”, where developers create local Cloud services and then automate their delivery to production environments, via JuJu acting as an orchestration engine.
This prompts reviews of relevant open standards, for example TOSCA.
Enterprise Cloud Brokerage
Open standards applied to the process of software developers automating their code deployment will ultimately lead to Cloud Brokerage being introduced into the mix too. I.e. Procurement will be one aspect of the orchestration required to make use of multiple Clouds.
Relevant technologies and initiatives here include CompatibleOne, an open source initiative to leverage the OCCI open standard for Cloud Service Brokerage, which can fit with OpenStack and enable deployment and monitoring of real-time complex n-tier application workloads provisioned across multiple Clouds, among other CSB features.
Editorial note: the post OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem appeared first on Cloud Computing Best Practices.
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- Wowza Joins Google Cloud Platform with Google Compute Engine
- The Master Plan for Enterprise Mobility
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- GENBAND Showcases WebRTC and Cloud
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?