|By Business Wire||
|January 13, 2014 07:01 AM EST||
Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the GPSMAP 64 series of rugged outdoor handhelds. The GPSMAP 64 series brings a dual GPS and GLONASS receiver, preloaded geocaches and smartphone connectivity for LiveTrack and Smart Notification to a product line already popular with hunters, hikers and geocachers of all ages.
Garmin today announced the GPSMAP 64 series of rugged outdoor handhelds. The GPSMAP 64 series brings a dual GPS and GLONASS receiver, preloaded geocaches and smartphone connectivity for LiveTrack and Smart Notification to a product line already popular with hunters, hikers and geocachers of all ages. (Photo: Business Wire)
“Building on the popularity of the GPSMAP series, the new GPSMAP 64 series improves functionality to make a top-notch device even better, said Dan Bartel, Garmin vice president of worldwide sales. “The GPSMAP 64 is ideal for anyone, no matter if it’s their first handheld, or if they’ve used Garmin for years. It combines trusted Garmin technology with the comfort of a device people know and love.”
The GPSMAP 64 series boasts a 2.6-inch sunlight-readable transflective color display and a high-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS receiver with a quad helix antenna for superior reception. With the addition of GLONASS satellites, the time it takes for the receiver to “lock on” to a position is (on average) approximately 20 percent faster than using GPS alone. This allows users to get their position quickly and precisely even in heavy cover and deep canyon.
The GPSMAP 64 series features three distinct water-resistant (IPX7) models to suit various activities and interests. The basic GPSMAP 64 includes a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief, and supports BirdsEye Satellite imagery and TOPO U.S. 24K maps. The GPSMAP 64s adds a 3-axis electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Additionally, the 64s adds wireless connectivity for data transfer between other compatible Garmin handhelds and mobile apps, and for Smart Notification technology. With this, users can receive emails, texts and alerts right on the device (when paired with an iPhone 4S and later). This allows users’ smartphones to be safely protected from the elements. The 64s also comes with a one-year subscription of BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. In addition to these key features, the GPSMAP 64st includes preloaded US 100K topographic maps. With this, users will be able to search for points of interest by name or proximity to their location and view descriptive details for terrain contours, topo elevations, summits and geographical points.
The rugged GPSMAP 64 series is the perfect companion for the outdoor adventurer. Devices are compatible with BaseCamp™, a free software download that allows users to view and organize maps, waypoints, routes and tracks. Additionally, the 64s and 64st models are compatible with the BaseCamp mobile app for data transfer, and the Garmin Connect™ mobile app, for features such as LiveTrack. With LiveTrack, users can pair their device with the app, and invite friends and family to follow their activity in real time. This provides peace of mind, especially if users are alone. Through ANT+™, the 64s and 64st models are also compatible with external sensors such as tempe™, the external temperature sensor and the premium heart rate monitor. Additionally with ANT+, the 64s and 64st models can act as a remote for the new VIRB™ and VIRB Elite action cameras.
The GPSMAP 64 series makes paperless geocaching easier than ever. Each device comes preloaded with the locations of 250,000 geocaches from Geocaching.com. Devices store and display key information to find the cleverly hidden containers including the geocache coordinates, terrain rating, its difficulty, hints and descriptions, so users no longer have to manually enter coordinates or print out geocache info. By going paperless, users are helping the environment, and improving their efficiency. If users would like to continue geocaching beyond the preloaded geocaches, when they register their device they can sign up for the free premium membership trial through Geocaching.com, and download even more geocaches. In addition to the preloaded geocaches, the GPSMAP 64 devices can store millions more, so users will no longer have to pick and choose which geocaches they want to load on their device.
All of the devices in the GPSMAP 64 series have a unique dual-battery system, where both standard AA batteries and a rechargeable NiMH battery pack (sold separately) can be used. Plus, all of the GPSMAP 64 devices have internal memory (4GB for 64/64s and 8GB for 64st), and a microSD card slot to store additional data and maps.
The new GPSMAP 64 series will be available in January 2014. The GPSMAP 64 will retail for $299.99, the GPSMAP 64s will retail for $399.99, and the GPSMAP 64st will retail for $499.99. The GPSMAP 64 series is the latest solution from Garmin’s growing outdoor segment, which focuses on developing technologies and innovations to enhance users’ outdoor experiences. Whether hiking, hunting, geocaching, golfing, or dog training, Garmin outdoor devices are becoming essential tools for outdoor enthusiasts of all levels. For more information about Garmin’s other outdoor products and services, go to http://www.garmin.com/outdoors, www.garmin.blogs.com and http://twitter.com/garmin.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International Inc. is a subsidiary of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation. Since 1989, this group of companies has designed, manufactured, marketed and sold navigation, communication and information devices and applications – most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin’s products serve automotive, mobile, wireless, outdoor recreation, marine, aviation, and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in Switzerland, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin and GPSMAP are registered trademarks and ANT+, tempe, Garmin Connect, VIRB and BaseCamp are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Notice on Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. Such statements are based on management’s current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 29, 2012, filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 0-31983). A copy of such Form 10-K is available at http://www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/finReports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
- Scott Jenson's Google #IoT Session @ThingsExpo
- Strategies for Winning Cloud Storage Wars: Google, Microsoft & Dropbox
- 2007 - 2014 - 2021 : deux septennats, pour changer le monde des Systèmes d’Information (première partie)
- Sprint Teams with Google to Offer Google Apps for Business
- Box Powers Productivity in the Cloud with Office 365, Removes Storage Limits for all Business Customers
- SoftWatch Launches New Service to Help Corporations Plan and Transform Their End-User Computing Environment
- Netvibes and Engagement Labs Partner to Deliver World's Most Advanced Social Media Analytics Platform
- @StackIQ To Exhibit At @CloudExpo Silicon Valley
- AppDirect Expands Leadership Team to Drive Cloud Adoption and Empower Businesses Globally
- Box Named a Leader in First-ever Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing
- ManageEngine Automates Google Apps Provisioning, Enhances Office 365 Reporting in ADManager Plus
- Less than One-Fifth of Federal IT Pros Are Fully Confident in Their Agency’s Ability to Meet Uptime and Failover Requirements
- WebRTC Summit Silicon Valley Call for Papers Now Open
- WSO2 Introduces Industry’s First Enterprise Identity Bus With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 5.0
- Findly Enhances Recruiting Efficiency With New Single Sign-on Portal
- 8 Tips for Going Paperless In Your Small Business
- 8 Tips for Going Paperless In Your Small Business
- Book Review: Learning Mobile App Development
- Mobile Health News Weekly – Week of June 1, 2014
- Scott Jenson's Google #IoT Session @ThingsExpo
- Contract Logix Announces Version 14 of Its Contract Management Software Featuring Several Additional Features for Greater Usability
- Volo Helps ISPs Solve Barriers to Delivering High-Speed Internet Access for the Next Billion
- Apple Announces OS X Yosemite
- Linux Foundation Releases Program for LinuxCon and CloudOpen North America
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought