|By Cloud News Desk||
|March 18, 2009 01:00 PM EDT||
The CTO of Cloud Computing at Sun Microsystems, Lew Tucker, and Sun's Sr. VP, Cloud Computing and Developer Platforms and Chief Sustainability Officer, Dave Douglas, were both speaking this morning in New York about "Communities and Clouds." Douglas, who is also keynoting at SYS-CON's upcoming 2nd International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo in New York (March 30-April 1), showcased critical components of Sun's cloud computing offering during his presentation.
Quoting Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz, who always says that "Innovation loves a crisis," Douglas was upbeat about the state of play technologically.
Crisis also loves a community, he noted.
"Everyone's talking about clouds," Douglas declared, "but what it boils down to for developers are that they will bring a dramatically increased level of choice to developers, plus they will lower the time and cost barriers" to a great many things.
How does Sun view what's happening, the big picture? "First of all we think there are going to be many, many clouds," said Douglas. Sun believes, he said, that they have to be open and interoperable - "That's where the power and the scale of this begins to make sense."
The core of Sun's approach, he announced, is called the Sun Open Open Cloud platform. The company's Public Cloud will be the first example of its vision. The partner line-up, Douglas said, is very exciting.
Douglas then introduced Lew Tucker, CTO of Sun's Cloud group. He gave a sense of the components of Open Cloud.
The major pillars are the Sun Cloud Storage Service and Sun Cloud Compute Service , Tucker said. "Your own virtual data center in the cloud," he called it. He then demo'ed the Open Cloud Platform in action.
One of the classic uses of cloud storage is the backing up of data to the cloud (for disaster recovery). The CEO of one of the leaders in the open source backup space, Zmanda, took the stage to discuss storing data on the cloud on an open format. Back up to the cloud and backup of the cloud is where Zmanda excels, noted Chander Kant, CEO of Zmanda.
“Zmanda’s support for the Sun Cloud underscores our strong belief that cloud computing will prove to be of tremendous value – both strategically and monetarily - to enterprise customers,” Kant said.
At the end of the one-hour session, Tucker spoke of an emerging ecosystem of companies helping redefine the business and technology models around the cloud, including leading companies like RightScale, whose CEO Michael Crandell also spoke.
When’s It Going to Happen?
A controlled private beta will happen sometime in the summer, said Tucker, who encouraged developers to go to http://www.sun.com/cloud.
“The Cloud space just touches on so much of Sun’s history and culture,” Douglas said in conclusion. The Sun Public Cloud has been opened up to all Sun employees internally, he added.
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- Google’s Enterprise Problem
- Building Video Calling with PubNub and WebRTC
- DataStax Announces New Startup Programme Offering Free Software, As Well As Free Training Courses For Cassandra Users And New Developer Tool
- Evaluation Report on Virtual Backup Software
- Get Ready to Think Out (C)loud With Cloud Sherpas’ Upcoming Webinar Series
- Series: Exchange 2013 and Lync 2013 Integration with AsteriskNOW PBX Pt. 1
- New PubNub App Template for WebRTC
- Strategic Enough to Matter, Code Halos and Mobile Apps
- GAMA : Quatre acteurs clefs, quatre stratégies différentes !
- Box and NSI Partnership Brings the Cloud to Businesses in the Middle East
- 7 Christmas Gifts For Your Business
- WebRTC Summit at Cloud Expo Agenda Announced
- OneLogin Raises $13M to Power Expansion
- Cloud Security Alliance Releases Cloud Controls Matrix, Version 3.0
- Survey Finds Large Enterprises Adopting WebRTC
- WebRTC Summit | WebRTC: Test then Disrupt
- WebRTC Summit Speaker Submissions Open
- WSO2 Expands Identity Management Capabilities Across Cloud, Mobile and Web Applications With the Launch of WSO2 Identity Server 4.5
- BMC Software to Exhibit at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley
- Twilio and LiveOps to Deliver WebRTC Deployments
- Oracle Demonstrates WebRTC Solution with CounterPath's Bria
- OpenStack for the Enterprise – Showcasing the OpenStack Ecosystem
- XIRSYS Launches WebRTC Hosting Service
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- The Top 250 Players in the Cloud Computing Ecosystem
- Dolphin Announces Open API With Over 50 Add-ons Including Dropbox and Wikipedia
- Personal Branding Checklist
- AJAXWorld 2006 West Power Panel with Google's Adam Bosworth
- Why Microsoft Loves Google's Android
- Google's OpenSocial: A Technical Overview and Critique
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Wal-Mart To Sell $399 Ubuntu Linux-based Laptop with Google Operating System
- i-Technology Blog: Google Trends on Java, McNealy, AJAX, and SOA Give Pause For Thought
- i-Technology Blog: Is There Life Beyond Google?
- Android: Who Hates Google Over the Phone?